WTC’s ski trips are weekend or week-long events. Most venues are reserved well in advance. Participants are responsible for signing up for the trip with the trip leader and paying a deposit to the leader, unless otherwise noted.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF LEADERS
- Prepare clear and concise information about locations of venues, timing, what participants need to bring or be prepared for; and communicate it to participants in advance.
- Make sure everyone reads and signs the Liability Release.
- Be familiar with ski/snowshoe venues, including ability level required.
- Consider weather when planning daily outings.
- Make an effort to know the abilities of participants and plan the trip accordingly, providing options for all abilities.
- Carry a first-aid kit and necessary safety equipment.
- Be alert for signs of hypothermia.
- When skiing/snowshoeing in a group, appoint a sweep; try to keep together, and stop for occasional rest and check-in of how people are feeling. (This is especially important at venues with no lodge.)
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARTICIPANTS
- Do not cancel if there is no snow; hiking will be substituted.
- Make an effort to get yourself in condition. Hiking, running, cycling, swimming, and rope jumping are excellent conditioners.
- Know your limitations. Check with the trip leader for the required skill level for each trip you contemplate.
- Let the trip leader know your plans if not staying with the group.
- Inform the trip leader of medical conditions, allergies or injuries that could arise and need attention on the trip.
- Have equipment in good condition.
- Have appropriate clothing.
- Stay well-nourished and hydrated.
- Take turns breaking track when necessary.
- When approaching another skier head-on, move to the right and continue, or wait, whichever is appropriate.
- When skiing uphill, yield to the skier coming downhill.
- When following a skier downhill, yield to the skier in front of you.
- When overtaking skiers, shout the warning “TRACK!” Overtaken skiers should move to the right and give right of way.
- If you fall, fill in your sitzmarks.
Update LJ, 11/2018, WMH 03/2020