In the fight against Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, the best offense is defense.
As more of us are venturing outdoors to enjoy the warmer weather, preventing tick bites is the best way to reduce the risk of infection and disease.
- Avoiding tall grass.
- Walking in the center of trails.
- Wearing long-sleeved, light-colored clothing.
- Tucking pants into socks.
- Using EPA-registered repellents.
- Performing full-body tick checks.
Please be aware of the potential dangers of tick-borne disease, including the rare but dangerous DTV, a type of Powassan virus, which is beginning to appear in Pennsylvania. According to health officials, there are no vaccines to prevent or medicines to treat Powassan viruses – another reason why a little prevention goes a long way. More Resources from Lyme Basics.