- 12/11/2019 at 4:24pm #16338April SchmittKeymaster
Message Resent From Carol Ireland:
I attended a meeting to learn more about the local initiative to “Hold On To Hercules” and decided I wanted to take action to support this initiative.
I have arranged for a one hour walking tour of the former Hercules Golf Course on Thursday, December 19 at 9:00 am. We will meet at the traffic circle at Penn Oak Dr/Beaver Falls Pl (39.756979, -75.628916). Please me know if you’re planning on joining us.
Some other ways you can support this unique opportunity to create a new New Castle County park:
* Sign the petition (https://friendsofwooddalepreserve.org)
* Send letters to our elected officials (there’s an opportunity to do that the next two Fridays at Little Falls Village; see https://www.facebook.com/events/514026405861196/)
* Sign a pledge form (available on their website: https://friendsofwooddalepreserve.org/support
The things I learned at the meeting include:
* New Castle County is very interested in purchasing the 200-300 acre parcel that was the Hercules Golf Course to preserve it as parkland, provided enough money can be raised
* The Friends of Wooddale Preserve project $15-20 million is needed:
40% state and county funding (e.g. Open Space fund, bond bill, etc.)
40% foundation/private funding
20% individual donations
* Pettinaro, the current owner, is very supportive of selling the property to the County…for the right price of course.
* The land is currently slated to host 236 homes — requires NCC land use and traffic approvals, expected in early spring, 2020
* The Friends of Wooddale Preserve are seeking pledges of financial support from individuals, with an ambitious goal of getting $3 million pledged by the end of the year. Little Falls Village with 107 homes has collected pledges of $70,000. They currently have $200,000 in pledges.
Here is an article about the initiative: https://townsquaredelaware.com/2019/11/15/exclusive-community-group-rallies-to-preserve-former-country-club-as-parkland/. The Friends website is: https://friendsofwooddalepreserve.org. This page includes links to sign a petition and to make a pledge: https://friendsofwooddalepreserve.org/support. Finally, there is a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HoldOnToHercules/
I am motivated to do what I can to get this property converted to parkland. If the land gets developed as homes I would hate to feel that I could have done something to prevent that, but didn’t. If you feel similarly, please consider taking action now.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.