TIME: 12:00am (prompt start, estimated end)
July 30th – Variations on Draw Stroke for Shaping and Sharpening Eddy Turns
-Instructor – Jack Frankosky
Lehigh River – Section to-be-determined
Enrollment limit: 4 students
Draw strokes include at least Normal (and sculling version), Bow and Stern. Transition between these often keeps the active blade in the water. The course will focus on these variations and when to use them, especially as applied to getting in and out of eddies.
We will start with paddle exercises in flat to slow moving water and build boat-edge control. As we get into moving water and add boat momentum, some of these variations will make a lot more sense.
With a common understanding, we will select progressively more difficult targets: large side-eddies to start; then, smaller, mid-stream eddies with more dynamic eddy-lines. We will add technique for peeling out, too. Just as some eddy-turns require a very sharp pivot, some peel-outs must be tight, too. Other variations on the draw will help cross chutes and waves in a jet-ferry – more fun than S-turns.
Course goals include development of strokes and confidence to use for entry and exit of mid-stream and down-rapid eddies. These are useful as a venue for river-scouting and, along with other features, are tools for letting the river do more of the work for the paddler. Pulling these tools in coordination will enable navigation of longer, more complicated and difficult rapids.
*Prerequisite Skills: Completion of WTC Novice/Beginner Training program for Whitewater Kayaking or equivalent, with Instructor discretion.
A working roll always helps you and the class. These exercises can earn us some time upside-down.
Whether or not your roll is solid, dressing for a swim is always a good idea.
Course Fee: $20 WTC and ACA membership required
Details of the day will follow once enrollment is confirmed
**Back-to-Back complimentary courses on the Lehigh July 29th and 30th – take one or both days
_Location To Be Determined
This location choice can be used for events until the actual location is known.
- WW Trip - Lehigh River - 06/10/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Trip - Stonycreek – June 17-18 - 06/17/2023 - 06/18/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayaking Intermediate Training - July 15 - 07/15/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayak Intermediate Training - July 29 - 07/29/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayak Intermediate Training - July 30 - 07/30/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Trip - Lehigh River - 8/5 - 08/05/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayak Trip - Lehigh River - 08/12/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayak Trip - Lehigh River - August 19 - 08/19/2023 - 12:00am
- WW Kayak Trip - Lehigh River - August 26 - 08/26/2023 - 12:00am
EVENT CANCELED: No